A clean gutter system is something you may not often think about, but it’s something that needs to be on the top of your mind. Gutters are essential components of your home that ensure that rainwater flows from your roof to the ground without getting into your home. Here are some reasons why clean gutters are so important:
They Prevent Water Damage
When a gutter becomes filled with debris and can’t function properly, rainwater backs up and can cause damage to your home by flowing over the gutter sections. Once a gutter floods, the water can get underneath the roof or trickle down the side of the house to the lower levels. This could cause rotting of the roof or siding. A clean gutter ensures easy water run-off and helps water damage.
They Are a Perfect Home for Pests
A clogged gutter is often filled with sticks, leaves, and other debris from nearby trees. This kind of environment is attractive to certain insects and rodents who often take up residence in the mucky build-up. Keeping the gutters clear of these materials will discourage critters from moving in.
Clogged gutters are heavy. Over time, the weight of your gutters may cause stress to the brackets holding it in place. This could lead to damage and could cause your brackets to fail.
Protect Your Foundation
If your gutters end up flooding, water could seep into the ground along the side of your home. Once this water freezes, it could expand and create cracks in the foundation.
To keep your gutters clean, follow these useful tips:
- Clean them at least twice yearly. If your house has lots of surrounding trees, you may want to clean more frequently to prevent clogging.
- Consider hiring a professional. While many people choose to clean their gutters themselves in order to save money, a professional will do a thorough job that could save you money in the long-run. They can locate a problem and address it before it becomes more complicated. Moreover, by hiring a professional, you can avoid the risk of incurring ladder-related injuries.
- Consider installing a gutter guard. Gutter guards will reduce the frequency of your cleanings by preventing debris from entering the gutter. You will still find some debris in your gutter but the amount will be much less than without a gutter guard. You may only need to clean your gutters every one to three years.
For more information, please feel free to reach out to the experts at Doing It Right Roofing Siding Remodeling LLC.
Determining what kind of siding your home needs is not an easy task. With the plethora of options on the market that are available to homeowners, it can be overwhelming to determine what color, texture, and material you need in your new siding. Luckily, we are the experts when it comes to siding in Pittsburgh at Doing It Right Roofing, Siding, and Remodeling LLC, and can help you find exactly what you need for the exterior of your home. Here are some things to consider when trying to decide on a siding material to remodel your home with:
What is your budget? – One of the first things you need to consider when looking for new siding is what your budget allows you to purchase. If your overall budget is on the lower end, you may be limited to the type of siding you can choose from when working with your contractor. Certain materials require larger budgets, but it does not necessarily reflect the durability of the siding itself.
How long will you be in your house? – Whether you are looking to sell your house in the next few years or you and your family are in your “forever” home, you need to consider how long your stay will be in your current home when choosing siding. Specific types of siding can raise the value of your home if you are ready to put it on the market. Additionally, you need to think about the material of your siding if you plan to stay in your home for many years to come.
Are you still trying to find James Hardie siding in Pittsburgh that fits within your budget? Give the professionals at Doing It Right Roofing, Siding, and Remodeling LLC a call today at (724) 351-0499.
While we never really see a season in Pittsburgh that does not involve rain, the wetter months of late summer and early fall are right around the corner. Every homeowner thinks that they have their roofing system adequately patched, waterproofed, and ready for rain, but there are signs that you can see before a heavy downpour that say otherwise. Here are some ways that you can check to see if your roofing system is prepared for heavy rains and what to do if it is not ready to handle it.
Check your gutters – One of the most important things that you can do to prevent your roofing from leaking or being compromised during heavy rainfall is to maintain your gutters. Unfortunately, the task of cleaning out your gutters or repairing them if they are not working correctly can be smelly, messy, and frustrating to do. However, properly maintained gutters are going to be your best armor from the persistent rain storms that the end of summer and early fall bring to Pittsburgh, so get a head-start on checking them while it is still dry outside.
Patch those flappy shingles – Are there a few shingles on your roof that could use some TLC before a torrential downpour? Patch them up while the weather outside is still cooperating with you. Even though you may think that one or two loose shingles might not affect your roofing system, you are wrong because they can heavily damage what is underneath. Consider having a partial or comprehensive roof inspection on those areas where your shingles are flying free to prevent any leaks during hurricane season.
Are you in need of roof repair in Pittsburgh? We can help at Doing It Right Roofing, Siding, and Remodeling LLC today at (724) 351-0499.
Let’s Focus on the Finer Details: Choices and Documentation
At Doing It Right Roofing Siding Remodeling I reinforce into every facet of our business the same thing every day — details, details, details. Last blog I touched on some of those details to help homeowners weed through the contractors to make the right choice. This blog will continue that trend to assist the homeowners with the out of the ordinary items.
The Company You Choose to Perform the Work
We are all always looking for the best price to obtain the things we need. Unfortunately sometimes we overlook what that cost actually will reflect and put the blinders on basing our decision solely on cost alone. We should also consider the following:
- It’s important to compare apples to apples, not oranges.Is all of the information I need to ensure a proper roof installation in my bid? In the age of computers, finding what you should have and not when a roof is to be installed is right at your fingertips. Deferring to the manufacturer and their website will eliminate any second guessing.
- Can I be sure that the contractor that performed the installation will be there when I need them in case a problem does occur? Getting a warranty of more than a year or twomakes more sense and protects you in the long run.
- When paying a deposit read between the lines.Most companies who do short-term projects such as roof installation should be able to incur the cost of the labor and material for over a few-day period. This term will separate the stronger companies from the weaker ones. You should be sure that nothing will ever get in your way when the installation of your roof is going on. Financial issues should scare you off.
Was All Documentation Available and True?
- Without being registered in the State of Pennsylvania database with the Attorney General’s officea contractor installing roofs is not permitted to do such installations. Furthermore, if their registration number is not on their documentation they are hiding something.
- If your contract proposal is no more than one or two pages long, then question the lack of information. There is so much to specify in a roof installation other than “ tear off the old shingles & replace them with new ones “. It amazes me how many people sign those kinds of contracts and then complain how they got taken. Be sure you have everything spelled out in length.
Insurance certificates should be presented to you for review. Although insurance varies and coverages can be misleading always get your name as an additional insured for your protection. No one should have a problem with this. If they do then something is being hidden.
Depend on us for honest and reliable roofing, siding, and remodeling advice. We proudly serve the Greater Pittsburgh area. Contact us and schedule a free consultation.
Many times when remodeling the exterior of your home, you are looking for simple, clean, and effective ways to update its curb appeal without a complete overhaul. While all exterior renovation projects can be time-consuming and pricey, there is one thing you can do to make your home stand out from the rest of the houses on the block without breaking your budget. By adding PVC trim to your deck, roofing, and other areas outside your home, you are giving it a facelift without having to redo your house’s exterior completely. Here are some benefits to incorporating PVC trim to the outer aesthetic of your house:
It is water resistant – One of the first things people usually ask about PVC trim is if it will hold up in the wet weather. Since it is made from the same material used to construct the plumbing in your home, the trim is not affected by moisture whatsoever.
It comes in many colors, shapes, and textures – Like many of the exterior home remodeling options we offer, PVC trim also comes in just about any width, shape, color, and texture you can dream up. Since it is so versatile, many home remodelers like to custom order it in a color or shape that will make the siding, deck, and other exterior elements of a home stand out among the rest.
Adding PVC trim in Pittsburgh to your home is just a call away with our team at Doing It Right Roofing, Siding, and Remodeling LLC. For more information about how adding PVC trim to a home can boost its’ curb appeal or just information about our trim options, materials, colors, and more, give us a call at (724) 351-0499 today.
If you are looking to revamp the exterior of your home, you are most likely weighing your options when it comes to siding. Depending on the overall look you are trying to achieve, as well as your budget, timeline, and climate, you will look into a variety of different siding materials to redo the outside of your house. One of the most popular, affordable, and stylish types of siding available to homeowners is vinyl siding. Here are some of our most frequently asked questions vinyl siding that you can read through when determining if it is right for your home.
Q: What is vinyl siding?
A: Vinyl siding is an excellent, eco-friendly siding option for a home’s exterior. It comes in a variety of colors, textures, and shapes to outfit the outside of your home in, as well as it being made from recycled materials. Additionally, you can also purchase insulated vinyl siding that helps to keep your utility costs down throughout the summer and winter months.
Q: Is vinyl siding cheaply made?
A: Since it is a more affordable siding option, many people are under the impression that vinyl siding is cheaply made and does not stand the test of time. Even though the price might be lower than other kinds of siding materials, it one of the most durable, environmentally-friendly, and versatile options on the market currently.
If you are looking for vinyl siding in Pittsburgh and need guidance on what type of color, shape, or texture your home could use, turn to us at Doing It Right Roofing, Siding, and Remodeling LLC. For an estimate on residing your house or general questions about us, feel free to reach out to our friendly team today at (724) 351-0499.